MarkCity

Sunday, September 21, 2003
 


I went to see Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi this week - that's Spirited Away to you and me. It's about a young girl who finds herself trapped in a weird world full of creepy spirits, disembodied heads, sentient pieces of soot and flying Maggie Thatcher lookalikes. Hmm, sounds a bit like the Connex office where I used to work. It's a wonderful film - beautiful to look at, eerie and funny and about a thousand times better than anything Disney have done recently.

Just as the film was about to start, the old man sitting next to us leant over and growled, 'Don't move or make any noise.' I froze, then Maggie and I spent the half the film shushing each other. When the old bloke started shuffling about I was so tempted to ask him to stop moving...

We've bought our tickets for California. Woo-hoo! It's so exciting. Cruising down the highway, the wind in our hair - well, the aircon in our hair, anyway. I need suggestions for the perfect cruisin' in Cali soundtrack. 'Go West', 'California Dreaming', 'The Boys of Summer', 'Summer of 69'... er, not sure if that's got anything to do with California but I'm sure it would sound great beneath the open sky in a pink Cadillac. Shame we'll be in a brown Ford Taurus.

(That was a guess, made purely for the sake of a joke.)