MarkCity

Monday, September 08, 2003
 

The Full Bronte

We've returned from our venture up north, about three stone heavier - each - due to the consumption of vast quantities of beer and black pudding. Alright, that's a lie about the black pudding. But my vegetarianism must have been commented on at least, ooh, a million times this weekend. At least nobody asked me if I eat fish. And I mustn't grumble as we were well looked after by the Butter-relatives. We stayed in Holmfirth, where Last of the Summer Wine was filmed, and saw Nora Batty's house and the Wrinkled Stocking tearoom. Nobody threatened to beat me up for being a southern paff, and we got to see our friend Helen who lives in Penistone. Tee hee. Penistone. Ho ho. Penistone. It never fails to amuse me.


Better than Connex

Highlight of our stay, along with visiting Helen in, ha ha, Penistone, was taking a trip on a steam train, something I've wanted to do since I was about six. We chuffed along for 20 minutes then turned around and chuffed back again. It were great. The steam train departed from Haworth, where the Bronte sisters lived. The Buttermother went wandering across Wuthering Heights, but probably didn't re-enact the Kate Bush video. Anyway, we're back now in the land of quiche and expensive beer.

My sister, Ali, rat-sitted for us and has done a grand job. Here's a picture of Syd clambering on the clothes horse.