MarkCity

Sunday, September 26, 2004
 
I haven't blogged for a few days because it's been too painful to sit at my desk. I know, it's sad, isn't it? Frankly, the last few days have been bloody awful and I've run out of decent painkillers. The doctors wouldn't give me any more in case I get addicted to codeine. I should have told them I'm a wannabe writer and that a glamorous addiction to a low-level opiate might help my career. Oh well.

Anyway, time heals better than drugs (so just say no, kids) and I'm happy to report that I'm over the worst. Though it's still a bit awkward sitting at my desk (so this will be brief). I went up the hospital on Thursday to have my comfortable back-board cast replaced with a lightweight cast that's made out of some kind of magical plastic substance. My leg now sticks out straight, hence the hurt. The consultant told me that my journey home (see below) was "incredible" - that's right, an incredible journey, akin to the time that cat and those dogs crossed America looking for their master. Somehow, in my addled state, I forgot to put my shoes on and went to the hospital in my socks. The nurse told me this was very dangerous due to the slipperiness of the hospital corridors and gave me a 'special' shoe to wear, a kind of invalid sandal that I wish I'd taken a photo of. This embarrassment was compounded by the discovery that the rats had chewed a small hole in the bum of my trousers, thus exposing my pants to my fellow wounded walkers. I'm going to be in the cast for 5 weeks, then on crutches for a further 2-3 weeks, undergoing "quite a lot" of physio.

I'm going to hobble back to my warm spot on the sofa now.