MarkCity

Sunday, November 16, 2003
 

Ooh, stick you!

I was a very brave boy on Wednesday: I went to see an acupuncturist. This is despite having an aversion to needles developed while watching the psychotic Japanese horror movie Audition, in which a seemingly demure woman turns out to be a sadistic feminist-fatale with a penchant for sticking acupuncture needles in men's eyes. Ouch. My fear increased when I learned that my own acupuncturist practises the Japanese sort, not the Chinese.

Still, I've been plagued with back pain recently - that pesky coccyx - so thought it would be worth giving it a go. And I'm pleased to report that it was actually very enjoyable and relaxing. The acupuncturist was English so didn't look anything like the killer in Audition, which was a relief. She made me strip to my undies - fortunately I was wearing some. (Don't get excited, female readers, but yesterday, due to a washing schedule mix-up, I had to go commando all day!) The needles didn't hurt at all, and neither did the clumps of mugwort that she burnt on my back. The needles wwere inserted into various points on my back, but not left in place like they are in Chinese acupuncture. And no, I didn't have any stuck in my head like the bloke above. I felt soothed and relaxed afterwards, although I still have back pain. I'm going back this week to see if a second session helps.

I've also been going to the gym this week in an attempt to regain the flat stomach my gym-going gave me last year (see Phi Phi pictures for evidence). Must get fit before going to Cali. Must reverse damage done by excessive beer-quaffing, thus allowing more guilt-free beer-quaffing.

Louis Theroux's on tonight. He's my TV hero. I just wanted to say that.