MarkCity

Tuesday, July 08, 2003
 

To blog or not to blog

I've been left to fend for myself tonight because Butter has gone to an al fresco performance of Twelfth Night. I probably could have gone (note to self: remember to ask girlfriend why I wasn't actually invited!) but Shakespeare is one of those things, like running and watersports, that I don't do. When Butter started going out with me, she misguidedly believed that I was cultured, because I read a lot. Since then, she's realised her mistake and there's been a culture war going on between us. Long time readers of MarkCity might recall that she forced me to go to the ballet earlier this year. In return, I dragged her to the Big Brother eviction. She enjoys Radio 4, I dig Radio 1. She wants to go to the theatre, I'd rather play on the GameCube. She says tomato, I say toma'o. But I'm not a complete philistine. I read highbrow literature (but not classics because they're boring). I know my art from my elbow. And I watch films with subtitles. So I could be much worse, as I realised last time I was on the South Bank. I'd popped into the National Film Theatre to use the loo, and while in there I heard the following exchange between a bloke and his 10-year-old son:

Son: What is this place?
Dad: It's the National Film Theatre, innit?
Son: What's that?
Dad: It's like a cinema. Where they show foreign films.
Son (astonished): Foreign films? But... how can people understand them?
Dad: They have subtitles, don't they?
Son (incredulous): Foreign films? Why?

I would guess he's not a big Shakespeare fanatic either. But here's a thought: if Shakespeare were alive today, I bet he'd have a blog.