MarkCity

Thursday, March 13, 2003
 
I've just added another article to this site - a handy print-out-and-keep guide to Teaching English in Japan. I think this will (possibly) be the last of my articles about that place where I don't live any more. Maybe. We'll see...

So, I had my interview yesterday. I want the job. That's all I'm going to say about it.

It was great visiting London again. Despite the lack of a Central Line and the bitter presence of a chill wind, London has a vibrancy and atmosphere that even Tokyo lacks. It also has a lot more nutters. Standing outside Holborn Station, waiting for my friend Andrew, I was almost attacked by a crazed Big Issue seller. And in the pub, there was almost some aggro at the bar when the barmaid tried to serve me before a guy who'd been waiting longer. Sorry, mate, but there's a queue 'ere, y'know. I wasn't arguing. That's the thing I don't like about London - the very real possibility that you might get your head kicked in at any moment. Still, crossing Waterloo Bridge on the bus, the lights of the Millennium Bridge reflected on the black Thames, I felt a rush of excitement and a sense that I was home. Or was it just the Guinness?

Speaking of the black stuff, it's nice to have to only (!) pay2.50 a pint instead of a fiver.

Andrew and I talked about writing. He's working on a great-sounding novel, whereas I'm a bit stuck. I don't know what to write next; I can't seem to get started. I have ideas, but I feel paralysed by indecision. Which idea should I choose? Whatever I write next, it has to be honest, dragged from my soul. It's time to stop farting around. Maybe I'll start it tomorrow...